Wednesday 21 March 2007

You have entered wedding season


About three years ago it started. Wedding season. My friends began to get hitched. From thereon in, things would never be the same. And I don’t mean that my friends changed after getting married, I mean that I had to start planning my life months in advance around the various weddings to make sure I could attend. Now please understand, I am not complaining at all. Considering the last two weddings I went to were in Sri Lanka and Cape Town, it has been fantastic!

Now weddings are great places to observe fellow human beings and probably my favourite part is the dancing. The couple are married, the speeches are over, the guests have been fed, and everyone is finally relaxed and the real fun begins. There’s the shy, quiet guy from table 3 who turns out to be a demon on the dance floor, the old uncle who dances with every young girl in succession. And no matter what people’s music taste is outside of weddings – jazz, punk rock, classical – suddenly everyone’s favourite song is Bryan Adam’s “Summer of Sixty Nine” or any Abba track.

My first video on the blog is from a wedding I went to about a month ago and it is one of my favourite videos. The evening is coming to an end, there are probably only a dozen songs left to be played, everyone has had a few wines and is feeling quite happy with life and slightly tired after a long day. What I love about the video is how each person is in their own little world, doing their own little dance, happy to be in the circle (or not quite in the circle) but not taking any notice of anyone else and the song is an absolute wedding classic. I can watch this video over and over as it just makes me laugh each time. Unfortunately it’s come out a bit dark. Enjoy!!




P.S. When I posted this video on youTube, the site directed me to some other videos of dancing at weddings, and it led me to believe that perhaps the weddings I have been to have been quite tame. Below are my personal favourites. If any of you are at inclined towards wasting a bit of time on youTube, please have a look – you won’t be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYgTBRbhw0M&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPmYbP0F4Zw&mode=related&search=

No comments: