Sunday 23 September 2007

Sucked in

So term has started at uni.

And once again I find myself sitting in front of my computer on a Sunday, attempting to be a good student – this time trying to write a year long work plan for my dissertation.

Now of course, before I could REALLY get down to some good work, I needed to get some stationary (mainly because I found myself without paper). So a trip into Brixton’s Woolworths was in order.

And I just wanted to share with a couple of people how I embrace our consumer society.

As my budget at the moment denies me a silver convertible or a flat screen TV, today, I bought Woolworth’s special offer, half price (was £4.99, now £2.49) 20 colour gel pens, consisting of 3 classic gel pens, 6 neon gel pens, 5 scented glitter fruits gel pens, 4 pastel swirl gel pens and 2 metallic gel pens.

Of course these pens (along with the 40 fibre tip pens, the letter pack with smiling bees and the three pack of reporters notebooks) are essential to anyone writing a dissertation highlighting the social effects and power structures resulting from capitalism and the imposition of the free market on the rest of the world.

Hmmmmmmm……

2 comments:

Magnus said...

:D you're like a microcosm of consumer society... but at least you realise it!

Anonymous said...

Haze I think that for the person who had to post back a whole box of stationary after living in Taiwan (the stationary lover's Eden), that was VERY restrained!